A Gantt chart is a horizontal bar chart that shows a project’s planned schedule and its tasks or events over time. Each bar in the Gantt chart represents a task, while the dates are laid out horizontally.
Gantt charts are commonly used as project schedules because they are one of the most useful and classic ways of showing activities displayed against time. They can also show task dependencies — how each task connects lớn others.
Bạn đang xem: cách tạo gantt chart trong excel
In this post, we’ll take a closer look at Gantt charts, including how they compare lớn other types of charts, their benefits, how lớn make your own, and more.
What is a Gantt chart used for?
A simple Gantt chart clarifies deadlines, milestones, and project progress. It serves as a single source of truth for teams; everyone instantly knows what they have lớn work on, when, and how it impacts the overall project. There are many different use cases for Gantt charts and they can be applied lớn any type of project. Here are a few ways they come in handy for different goals or projects:
- Simplify complex projects and help track their KPIs
- Can help with resource management when it comes lớn planning marketing campaigns
- Allows for a visual understanding of a project’s scope and requirements
- Managers can use them as a high-level guide lớn track project progress
In a broader framework, Gantt charts help businesses with a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), a specific method of breaking down large or complicated goals into manageable objectives. A WBS shows what tasks need lớn be completed, but doesn’t show when each will begin or over. By starting with a solid WBS, you can then layer in Gantt chart components such as time, ownership, status, or milestones lớn create a clearer picture.
To get a better idea of how it works, imagine a marketing team using a Gantt chart lớn plan out all their different campaigns and tasks, such as social truyền thông media, trang web nội dung, branding, and more. With a Gantt chart, everyone on the team can see exactly which tasks are currently being worked on, which team members are working on them, and how each task affects the other. This allows them lớn better plan deliverables and effectively estimate timelines.
Read also: Gantt chart examples
Pert chart vs Gantt chart
In a PERT chart (Program Evaluation and Review Technique), tasks are represented in a network diagram that includes nodes or circles with arrows between them lớn demonstrate dependencies between tasks. While both Gantt and PERT charts are important project management tools, there are some key differences between the two, such as where they focus, task dependencies, complexity, and critical path.
Xem thêm: người vợ bí mật
Overall, PERT charts better depict task interdependencies and critical path analysis for complex projects, while Gantt charts emphasize task scheduling and progress tracking for a range of project sizes and types. That’s not lớn say both charts can’t be applied lớn the same project, but in general, PERT chats are ideal for the planning phase while Gantt offers more flexibility and adaptability throughout project implementation.
What are the components of a Gantt chart?
While every team’s project Gantt chart will look different depending on their unique workflow and critical path, there are six major components that are important lớn include:
- Dates/times: Gantt charts show task dates from beginning lớn over as well as their place on the overall project timeline lớn enable easier planning.
- Tasks and task bars: Tasks and sub-tasks are shown in order of what needs lớn be completed. Tasks are organized vertically on the left, with bars representing each task shown as a visual bar on a timeline lớn better view task dependencies over a project’s lifetime.
- Milestones and progress: Certain points of a project are represented as milestones, which on a Gantt chart can look lượt thích tasks with a distinct marker. Progress is tracked in relation lớn how close each phase is lớn its corresponding milestone, sometimes showing a completion percentage of an ongoing task.
- Dependencies: Arrows or lines are used lớn denote which tasks are dependent on each other.
- Vertical line markers: Vertical markers indicate the current data of a project on the chart, helping you see where your project is at and how much work is left lớn bởi.
- Resources: Some tasks will include resources such as tools, documents, or contacts that are helpful in completing a task.
How lớn create a Gantt chart
Creating a Gantt chart from scratch requires several steps, from gathering all the different tasks and subtasks lớn defining dependencies, and creating a horizontal timeline. While this can be done independently, it’s a lot easier lớn start with the help of a project management platform with built-in Gantt chart views and templates, lượt thích monday work management.
How lớn view your tasks on a Gantt chart with monday work management
monday work management offers over 27 project views lớn view your tasks, with a Gantt chart being one of them. That means that instead of creating the chart from scratch, all you need lớn bởi is create your workboard, including all the parameters you’d lượt thích such as columns and automations, and then in a few clicks, you can view it as a Gantt chart. Here’s how it works:
- Make sure your board has a Timeline Column and Dependency Column.
- In the Board View thực đơn, select Gantt
- Your tasks are now organized in one Gantt chart and you can get more creative with on-the-fly edits and cool features lượt thích The Gantt Baseline, which allows you lớn visualize your current project’s progression against the planned timeline
Once your Gantt view is created in monday work management, you can then customize it lớn your liking. You can add it as a widget lớn your dashboard so sánh it’s easily accessible, customize which columns from your board appear in your chart, and view items in your chart by group such as project phases. You can also play with visual settings by adding labels or specific colors lớn items on your chart.
monday work management also allows you lớn zoom in or out of your Gantt chart by customizing the time frame. For example, you can choose lớn view your chart in days, weeks, months, years, or quarters, allowing you lớn zoom in and small tasks and then get a complete project overview in a few clicks.
Xem thêm: ký sự sinh tồn chốn cung đình
With monday work management, you get the flexibility in visualizing your work how you want. While tasks start out on a board, you don’t need lớn go back lớn the board view from your Gantt chart lớn continue updating your project. If you prefer working primarily with a Gantt chart, you can update items directly from the Gantt view without toggling back and forth.
- Project schedule management
Rachel Hakoune is a Content Marketing Manager at mangnontamky.edu.vn. Originally from Atlanta, she is finding the balance between southern charm and Israeli chutzpah.